CONFESSION:Dragon Age 2’s morality system was a downgrade from Origins; it was trying too hard to appeal to the Mass Effect crowd. I preferred when my decisions weren’t blatantly “bad” or “good”. I just picked my choice and it happened; there was no red or blue icon associated to the dialogue choice. This made my decisions seem more real, and made it seem easier to justify my true emotions in the moment.
no no no no no OP see this is what was wrong with Origins’ morality system and why DA2 was a step in the right direction:
1) The morality system in DAO made the characters a little flat. They were not capable of experiencing any sort of change of heart, or even have a real argument with the player character. It basically boiled down to “WELL THIS IS WHAT I THINK AND IF YOU DISAGREE, BYE.” You couldn’t have any sort of character development if the character didn’t like the PC, unless you call “throws a bitch fit and leaves” character development. In DA2, the companions could disagree strongly with the PC, but respect could still be earned.
2) The morality system didn’t really *matter* in DA:O because you could just give your companions gifts. You could have a super do-gooder be BFF with Morrigan, or have an evil bastard be BFF with the goody-good trio (Alistair, Wynne, Leliana). DA2 removed a lot of that kind of metagaming, because you actually had to *THINK* about your decisions and the people standing behind you. You couldn’t just turn around and give them a cake to make it all better.
Pretty much this. It was a bit difficult getting morally grey characters like Isabela on either path but after you know a bit about her it becomes easier.
It might compromise some minor decision depending on how important that character is to you but overall it is better than DA:O’s system of insulting your companion than curing it by giving them a bone or a random necklace.
Also it meant you had to use your companions and do their quests instead of just throwing gifts at them at the home base and running around with the same party all the time.
I wonder though if the OP is referring to the dialogue options that had a blue “halo” icon vs an angry red icon?
Anyway there isn’t really a “good” and “bad” set of actions unless you personally have adopted the POV of a certain companion as your own. My first Hawke friendmanced Anders and was best buddies with Aveline and Merrill, but my subsequent Hawkes have been besties with Isabela and Fenris and 100% rival with Anders and Merrill. (Usually still friends with Aveline, oddly enough. She’s very forgiving.) Very different sets of decisions in play, and none of my Hawkes are “bad” or “evil”.
- alyisayif likes this
- plumpixy likes this
- amphitere reblogged this from dreadwulf and added:
- dreamingpagan reblogged this from dragonageconfessions and added:
- phdfan reblogged this from dragonageconfessions
- riskyrat likes this
- evamitchelle likes this
- victoriavai reblogged this from dragonageconfessions
- dgcatanisiri reblogged this from dragonageconfessions and added:
- lemmetellyaaa likes this
- gallows-bound likes this
- fragilespark likes this
- alwaysthelotuseater likes this
- mixgoldenphoenix reblogged this from dragonageconfessions
- mixgoldenphoenix likes this
- vakarianify reblogged this from dragonageconfessions and added:
- vakarianify likes this
- thewheelinthesky reblogged this from dreadwulf
- dreadwulf reblogged this from fireflybynight and added:
- slettlune likes this
- sanguinehornyfist reblogged this from scparris
- scparris reblogged this from dragonageconfessions
- scparris likes this
- fireflybynight reblogged this from rinjirenee and added:
- vivitheninja likes this
- savagedcon reblogged this from dragonageconfessions
- elayne-al-thor likes this
- elayne-al-thor reblogged this from lightningcatters and added:
- flandar likes this
- anashapants likes this
- elcors likes this
- ineffableigor reblogged this from dragonageconfessions and added:
- cats-are-evil likes this
- filosagi likes this
- heywakeupandbedead likes this
- lv12medic reblogged this from rinjirenee and added:
- grievous-girl likes this
- upsettingshorts reblogged this from rinjirenee and added:
- acoldbreeze likes this
- onlyunclaimedusername reblogged this from dragonageconfessions and added:
- chroodles likes this
- vieralynn likes this
- rinjirenee reblogged this from dragonageconfessions and added:
- captorvating-ass likes this
- lightningcatters reblogged this from dragonageconfessions and added:
- wadebramwilson likes this
- thegreywardencommander reblogged this from dragonageconfessions
- darklydreamingdave likes this
- alicexsin reblogged this from dragonageconfessions and added:
- fleurssauvage likes this